Monday, February 2, 2009
Short Thought about Storytelling
I have not yet finished the reading about storytelling, but just the mention of "Real People, Real Stories" reminded me of a segment that comes on NPR every Friday morning on my drive to work. "StoryCorps" is NPR's version of storytelling, and all of the stories that are captured will be archived. I love listening to the stories, and I can't help but think there are so many stories that no one will ever hear. People die without ever telling their stories - about war, children, families, cars, jobs, sports games, newspapers, or whatever it is that they have to share about. The best part is, most every story is compelling. I love listening to the stories that my dad tells because he remembers every single detail about EVERYTHING (down to the date and time...) and I really enjoy listening to my mom's stories about growing up in Galveston, TX. It's a city that is 50 miles away but it seems like a completely different country from the way she describes growing up there in the 1950s. I think it would be really interesting to try and begin capturing some of my parents' stories to pass along to my own children and future generations. I feel like my generation is so privileged to have so much technology and so many avenues of opportunity for capturing our thoughts, stories, ideas, and lifestyles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment