Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Deep End

As I was reading Caroline's post about how much this class has done for her technology skills, I got to thinking about the teaching techniques that were used on us. We were expected, from the outset of this course, to face any hesitation or reluctance to media-based activities. There was no time for hand-holding or tutorials about how to create videos, do blog posts, or submit media - we just did it. I think that this is so great! I really had to get over myself and learn how to do things. And not just in a sort-of kind of way - I had to learn how to do the technological stuff in a meaningful way. I think this is a lesson that we can use in our own teaching. Sometimes, just throwing our students into the deep end is a great way to help them overcome reluctance or hesitation. 

Thanks for the great bridge, Caroline! 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Emily. In the beginning I thought I could lean on my kids for the technology except they didn't know how to do most of the things either. I had some anxiety but I am actually proud of us. Thank you for your contributions to this class I enjoyed them all and good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete