As we are preparing these projects, we are encouraged to find the most interesting ways to describe what makes the certain experience we are documenting compelling. Just as we try to find the words at a funeral to describe how a life was compelling, we also have to find the words in our projects to determine how these experiences are compelling. The problem is, it's really hard to find new words that really mean something. I find myself stuck on the same old adjectives, and I've been working to find a new angle on my project.
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Finding the words for Compelling
I drove past a cemetery today and a funeral was going on. I got to thinking about the words that people tend to use at funerals, and about what I can learn from that. I imagined that the eulogist was probably saying that the deceased lived a full life and was really a great person who always make everyone happy. Most of the funerals that I have been to have featured the same terminology to describe the deceased. Not that there's anything wrong with this. It's just interesting how much this has to do with our Work of Art Series projects.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment