For my project for this module I have been trying to figure out how best to connect the ideas of fashion and teaching. I have decided to center my project around teaching my pre-schoolers about the real meaning of Thanksgiving.
My first thought was about how superficial so many holidays have become. All holidays are commercialized to the point that I actually have to spend a lot of time teaching my young students that Rudolph, the Easter bunny and candy are not what holidays are all about. Holidays are, in a way, fashioned into being attractive to young children (CONSUMERS) and we all tend to lose sight of what the holiday is really about.
So my job as a teacher, then, is to find a way to make the holiday interesting to my young students in a way that is not centered around commercialism. Thanksgiving seems the perfect opportunity. The kids are not usually very interested in the real story, and my challenge is to find a way to make it more compelling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Good idea! Thanksgiving is a great holiday and they are probably too young to very excited about the food yet... But they will be in a few years :)
ReplyDeleteHolidays is a topic that I often times find interesting but also puzzled. I would like to hear more about what you did to make Thanksgiving more compelling for your students.
ReplyDeleteGaoming